Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Celebrity Status

I was on my district's high school campus today and saw some of my former 6th and 7th grade students, most of whom are now sophomores and juniors. This isn't a rare occurrence. I usually see former students quite frequently - at least once every couple of days or so. Nevertheless, the response is usually overwhelming - students screaming my name from across campus, running (literally running) to give me hugs, and asking if I teach there now, and if so, what class so a schedule change can be requested. They make me feel like a celebrity!

Although I never tire of hugs and students genuine appreciation, I am most proud to hear students say the things I taught in 6th or 7th grade math was THE reason they passed the state Algebra I exit exam. I'm not proud of myself though, I'm proud of and for them. 

Those students worked hard to gain problem-solving and process skills. Long after facts, algorithms, and precise definitions are forgotten, those skills matter most and are what truly makes great math students. I push hard and they were willing to work hard to ensure my 10 non-negotiables became permanent tools in their math toolkits.

1. Math works, so it's important that you know how and why.

2. Vocabulary and writing are extremely important in math class.

3. Reason through and make sense of the problem before attempting to solve it.

4. A hypothesis isn't just for science. Make a prediction and use estimation. 

5. The solution is not the end of, and is in fact, the least important part of the process. 

6. Show and explain the process involved in finding (a or multiple) solution(s) with precise definitions an algorithms. 

7. Justify solutions using multiple representations (in other words, PROVE IT!).

8. Check your work and revise if necessary.

9. Seek alternate methods or solutions because there is always more than one way to arrive at the same destination.

10. Make connections. 

This is in no way an exhaustive list of what was taught. It's more reflective than anything else since I don't teach math anymore. I had few great experiences with math after 5th grade. I wanted to ensure that the same was not true for my students. It must have worked.

~TF

No comments:

Post a Comment