Monday, September 16, 2013

Inside the CCSS Literature Standards

Chapter 4 of Pathways to the Common Core goes deeper into the actual implementation than any other resource I've seen. Rather than a bird's eye view, this chapter takes you directly into the standards, inviting you to read and engage in a close reading of the texts (ala ELA Anchor Standard 1) of E. B. White's Charlotte Web and Cynthia Rylant's Poppleton, then walks you through implementing ELA Anchor Standards 2 - 9, just as students would.


This book is definitely worth the purchase. I will return to it repeatedly after I'm done.


~TF

1 comment:

  1. I've been highlighting, writing, and page marking left and right, and it's not even my copy! Chapter 4 REALLY broke it down. After teaching the CCSS for 3 years I'm now feeling like I know what to do with them/how to teach them to my Kinder kids! I should have read this book sooner. I could have done so many things better.

    I especially appreciate how the CCSS are written in a progression through the grade level as well as across grade levels.

    It makes so much sense that children have to be able to tackle standards 1-3(key details) proficiently in order to handle the demands of standards 4-6(craft) and 7-9(integration).

    Eventually, I will have to get my own copy or at least replace it, thanks for inviting me to read with you.

    ReplyDelete